TyperA - test your typing skills

Home | Register | What's new | High scores | Forums | People | Guestbook | FAQ | About TyperA

Name:
Password:

From the creators of TyperA:
online hockey
ski jump

Forgot your password?
Forum title:TyperA
Topic title:Score Accuracy? Anyone?
Created by: sorenk
Created on:2006-10-22 04:34:38
Read times:5586

[all forums] [all topics] [latest messages] [send reply]

sorenk

Date: 2006-10-22 04:34:38

[reply]
Who's in favor of including accuracy with the score. The way TyperA is set up, I can get a better score if I hit 'a' and 'space bar' every time I see a difficult word. But I don't a that a a or boss would a much for a letter a in a a way.

Granted too much of that will earn a penalty, but a slight reduction in speed doesn't correlate with inaccuracy. Speed and accuracy are both important in different ways. If I'm writing a long letter with typewriter on high-quality, non-erasable paper, 5 wpm at 100% accuracy is better than 212 at 99.5% accuracy. On the other hand, for dictation, 100 wmp at 95% accuracy could be better than a perfect 90 wmp.

So, I think every score should be accompanied by the percentage of characters typed correctly.

Who's a with me?
dromiceius

Date: 2006-10-22 12:18:45
Edited: 2006-10-22 12:20:41

[reply]
sorenk wrote:
Who's in favor of including accuracy with the score. The way TyperA is set up, I can get a better score if I hit 'a' and 'space bar' every time I see a difficult word. But I don't a that a a or boss would a much for a letter a in a a way.

LMAO!
I had never thought to abuse the system like that, but it makes sense considering some of the unnatural words the program will throw now and then.

So, I think every score should be accompanied by the percentage of characters typed correctly.

Who's a with me?

I concur.

Edit: Though, being a web administrator myself, I hasten to add that I neither expect nor demand anything from the person in charge here.
sorenk

Date: 2006-10-23 01:36:02
Edited: 2006-10-23 01:36:18

[reply]
LMAO!
I had never thought to abuse the system like that, but it makes sense considering some of the unnatural words the program will throw now and then.

The technique doesn't always work so well, at least for me, because it throws me off more than just typing the word. But all the same, I'd like to track my progress on accuracy.

And I agree with not expecting nor demanding anything from the people in charge here. TyperA is a remarkable community service as is.
Anonymous

Date: 2006-11-08 06:40:32

[reply]
Well, I kinda agree and kinda don't. In the software I used before always included accuracy percentage but it didn't have anything to do with the typind speed, but they could still change it, right?
yakksoho

Date: 2006-12-20 02:59:40

[reply]
In TyperA, only the last second counts. The score on your scorecard is the score that is recorded, regardless of any faster typing you have done earlier in the text. Therefore this method of cheating would be ineffectual and would only incur you error.
ainegue

Date: 2007-03-28 01:13:19

[reply]
yakksoho wrote:
In TyperA, only the last second counts. The score on your scorecard is the score that is recorded, regardless of any faster typing you have done earlier in the text. Therefore this method of cheating would be ineffectual and would only incur you error.

WOW. So - we only gotta get the last word right as fast as we can? GREAT! Lemme try!

And yes, i do think that score accuracy should be acompanied with the speed. If your typing at say 100 wpm and yet you make 1/3 of the text mistakes, you really have to know how you can improve. If you can type, "the dog ran" in 1 second, yet you type it as, "the dotg ;grakt", that really would make it useless. The whole point of touch typing, to me atleast, is to type something in the least amount of time. It pretty much takes up alot'a wasted time just to get the whole thing wrong anyway. You may as well type slowly in that case.

[all forums] [all topics] [latest messages] [send reply]

TyperA.net - ©Klikki