TyperA - test your typing skills

Home | Register | What's new | High scores | Forums | People | Guestbook | FAQ | About TyperA

Name:
Password:

From the creators of TyperA:
online hockey
ski jump

Forgot your password?
Forum title:Typing
Topic title:900 keys per minute? Impossible
Created by: tiuri
Created on:2006-12-18 21:24:59
Read times:12943

[all forums] [all topics] [latest messages] [send reply]

tiuri

Date: 2006-12-18 21:24:59

[reply]
Where is the Worldrekord at Tipping? And how can somebody tip 900 keys per minute?
# player score date
1 Wim Gerbecks 894 2006-03-17

Sorry, but that are 15 keys per second, and that is a bit much. I can't believe that.
naj

Date: 2006-12-19 13:06:27

[reply]
Tiuri wrote:
Where is the Worldrekord at Tipping? And how can somebody tip 900 keys per minute?
# player score date

Sorry, but that are 15 keys per second, and that is a bit much. I can't believe that.

;-) I'm wondering about this too.....
x-stephanie

Date: 2006-12-25 22:07:03

[reply]
it's much
dromiceius

Date: 2006-12-26 16:53:18

[reply]
The fastest typist goes 212 wpm at maximum... that's over 1000kpm.
wikipedia is never wrong! :D
tiuri

Date: 2006-12-27 16:56:09
Edited: 2006-12-27 16:56:40

[reply]
wiki said this, too? ok, than it's maybe true, but sort of... it's hard to imagine

i such at wiki, too, but I can't find anything
dromiceius

Date: 2006-12-29 08:54:21

[reply]
Bam.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typewriter
gerbecks

Date: 2007-02-06 08:33:30

[reply]
Hello all,

I don't use the qwerty keyboard, but the Velotype/Veyboard keyboard.
I use it professional for realtime text interpreting for deaf/hard or hearing people and live subtitling for television.
It is a 'chord'-keyboard. Pressing several keys at the same time, creating syllables instead of individual letters.
That's why it's a lot quicker than Qwerty!

Greetings,

Wim

Tiuri wrote:
# player score date

julesg

Date: 2007-02-06 15:16:28

[reply]
i cannot believe that itīs possible to tip 900 keys per minute!!
you are all freaks out there!
pascal

Date: 2007-02-09 14:23:41

[reply]
I'm sure its possible...
masonem

Date: 2007-02-15 21:27:58
Edited: 2007-02-15 21:36:28

[reply]
Uh, I have clocked myself (via a program I coded in Visual Basic) typing a very short phrase (only "show me the money" because I have typed it thousands of times in StarCraft) error-free at 221 words per minute--that's over 1100 keys per second. I'm sixteen years old--just imagine what a more practiced person could do and what I'll be able to do when I'm older. Regardless, my average (using words that I actually know and use commonly, which includes essentially every word in this post) is approximately 130 words per minute. With really odd sentences (and non-sentences) like those in TyperA, I'm only hitting about 104 words per minute when I try hard (although one might account for the fact that a NetWare message pops up every few seconds thanks to other students printing while I'm in class here). Trying hard with common words? 150 words per minute (750 keys per minute) is about my average speed, with a max (ie. when it's a huge amount of common words) of about 180 words per minute (900 keys per minute). I assure you I'm not making any miscalculations; however, I am not accounting for mistakes that I don't go back and correct immediately while still in the process of typing, which I do frequently. I'm not sure as to my exact accuracy rate, but I believe it's most likely between 92% and 96%.

Oh, I almost forgot: I use the Qwerty layout.

I have honestly never heard of the Dvorak keyboard layout before; however, it looks intriguing and I would say that it is indeed an excellent design, since the letters are very well placed according to the frequency of use. (No, I didn't read any of the article before deciding that.) I wonder if I can get ahold of one of these...
jordan

Date: 2007-02-22 14:41:52

[reply]
X-stephanie wrote:
it's much

what is much i do not get it

and are you just a computer or are you realy a person???
v..uk

Date: 2007-02-23 08:44:49
Edited: 2007-02-23 08:49:33

[reply]
MasonEM wrote:

I have honestly never heard of the Dvorak keyboard layout before; however, it looks intriguing and I would say that it is indeed an excellent design, since the letters are very well placed according to the frequency of use. (No, I didn't read any of the article before deciding that.) I wonder if I can get a hold of one of these...

If you use Windows ME or latter I think you should be able to go to Control Panel, select "Regional and Language"

Then click the "Languages" tab, Click the "Details..." button
Then the "Add..." button
And you should get a menu to select Dvorak.

Also, http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/ , has a lot of good info about Dvorak.

I use thRUeo (formerly V..UK) which is a lot like Dvorak and I think it's much more comfortable. Alternating hand, for me, keeps my fingers from feeling as bunched as when I type more characters in a row an one hand...I notice this when I type Finnish because Finnish uses k and j with long strings of vowels, all of which are on the right side of my board).

If you want to try Dvorak with out losing your QWERTY ability, make a key transposition ring for QWERTY to DVORAK:
Just look at both layouts side by side. Pick a key, any key, on the Dvorak layout.
And figure out what key that would make on the QWERTY layout.
Then take the new key and repeat the process until you have the whole board mapped out.

For example S becomes ; becomes Z becomes / becomes { becomes - becomes ... O which brings you back to S.

Once you have these rings you can say, "'Kay, I want 's' so I should type ';'." This way you're still typing QWERTY as far as your motor reflexes are concerned but you can experience the comfort and efficiency of another layout.

That is how I use a QWERTY terminal:
I use the rings;
Y ; I K O Q B Z C G R L A S N - ★★
{ the double characters represent keys that don't convert directly {you won't have this with QWERTY to Dvorak}, if I want a '-' on a qwerty board I hit the key where I have a Unicode black star.}
== ☆☆
{{ ☺☺
}} ☹☹
// X F H U W P J E D T V M ' {which brings me back to} Y

So, if I need to type food I type HQQT. K -ddt naddj -qp{shift + 1}. I need sleep now! {note: ! for thRUeo is dead-key-comma + period}.
masonem

Date: 2007-03-01 06:54:48
Edited: 2007-03-01 06:59:44

[reply]
V..UK wrote:
MasonEM wrote:
If you use Windows ME or latter I think you should be able to go to Control Panel, select "Regional and Language"

Then click the "Languages" tab, Click the "Details..." button
Then the "Add..." button
And you should get a menu to select Dvorak.

Also, http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/ , has a lot of good info about Dvorak.

I use thRUeo (formerly V..UK) which is a lot like Dvorak and I think it's much more comfortable. Alternating hand, for me, keeps my fingers from feeling as bunched as when I type more characters in a row an one hand...I notice this when I type Finnish because Finnish uses k and j with long strings of vowels, all of which are on the right side of my board).

If you want to try Dvorak with out losing your QWERTY ability, make a key transposition ring for QWERTY to DVORAK:
Just look at both layouts side by side. Pick a key, any key, on the Dvorak layout.
And figure out what key that would make on the QWERTY layout.
Then take the new key and repeat the process until you have the whole board mapped out.

For example S becomes ; becomes Z becomes / becomes { becomes - becomes ... O which brings you back to S.

Once you have these rings you can say, "'Kay, I want 's' so I should type ';'." This way you're still typing QWERTY as far as your motor reflexes are concerned but you can experience the comfort and efficiency of another layout.

That is how I use a QWERTY terminal:
I use the rings;
Y ; I K O Q B Z C G R L A S N - ★★
{ the double characters represent keys that don't convert directly {you won't have this with QWERTY to Dvorak}, if I want a '-' on a qwerty board I hit the key where I have a Unicode black star.}
== ☆☆
{{ ☺☺
}} ☹☹
// X F H U W P J E D T V M ' {which brings me back to} Y

So, if I need to type food I type HQQT. K -ddt naddj -qp{shift + 1}. I need sleep now! {note: ! for thRUeo is dead-key-comma + period}.

Awesome. I'm up to 42 words per minute with Dvorak, and I can still type just fine with Qwerty, although it takes me a minute to readjust (and I'm not using your method, I'm just trusting my skills. Not like I need to type quickly with Qwerty anymore, though). I set up my Windows XP to use Dvorak for the default layout in the way you suggested.

Man, I'm a show-offy 16-year-old...
stucker

Date: 2013-02-04 23:56:42

[reply]
I don't think it is impossible to typed 900 wpm. but what would be impossible if you type 900wpm error free. and i think if you practiced hard enough you can do it. good luck you'all.

[all forums] [all topics] [latest messages] [send reply]

TyperA.net - ©Klikki