TyperA - test your typing skills

Home | Register | What's new | High scores | Forums | People | Guestbook | FAQ | About TyperA

Name:
Password:

From the creators of TyperA:
online hockey
ski jump

Forgot your password?
Forum title:Typing
Topic title:Learning to type the number row
Created by: beginner
Created on:2007-06-28 19:07:21
Read times:9756

[all forums] [all topics] [latest messages] [send reply]

beginner

Date: 2007-06-28 19:07:21
Edited: 2007-06-28 19:28:59

[reply]
I just started to learn typing the number row and it's pretty confusing. Until now I was used to type slowly but 100% accurate. I developed correct finger-key reaches: for me is very important to move only the one finger that I use to press the key, while the others remain on the home row. I know this is not possible at very high speed, but at least I try to minimize the extra movement of other fingers. On number row, things are different. e.g. for me (and maybe for everyone) it's almost impossible to press 2 and 9 with the ring finger, without moving the little finger. On the other hand, if I let fingers move freely, I get dizzy and lose accuracy. I need some piece of advice from an experienced typer around on how to correctly press keys 2, 9, 0 and whether or not I should care less about these extra movements. (excuse my mistakes, I'm not english-born...)
dre

Date: 2007-07-05 02:05:28

[reply]
Hey beginner :-)

beginner wrote:
 I just started to learn typing the number row and it's pretty confusing. Until now I was used to type slowly but 100% accurate.
I developed correct finger-key reaches: for me is very important to move only the one finger that I use to press the key, while the others remain on the home row. I know this is not possible at very high speed, but at least I try to minimize the extra movement of other fingers.

Don't try to do that! It's fully enough to keep one or two fingers on the home row! Really, try to practice without forcing yourself to keep all the other fingers on the row. You'll soon reallize your fingers "snap" back to the initial positions whenever you need them to.

On number row, things are different. e.g. for me (and maybe for everyone) it's almost impossible to press 2 and 9 with the ring finger, without moving the little finger. On the other hand, if I let fingers move freely, I get dizzy and lose accuracy. I need some piece of advice from an experienced typer around on how to correctly press keys 2, 9, 0 and whether or not I should care less about these extra movements. (excuse my mistakes, I'm not english-born...)

Keys 1 and 2 are a matter of the left pinkie (the "little finger"). The 9 is the right middle finger and 0 the right ring finger.

Oh, and about this "getting dizzy and loosing accouracy"-thing:
Don't worry about making mistakes! You'll probably make many mistakes in the beginning, but that's totally allright! Soon you'll notice most mistakes the moment you type them. Then you'll comfortably press backspace with right pinky or even ring finger, not caring, where the rest of the fingers are. Then your right hand will be back on the home row before you even thought about it :-)

Give it a try, if you are patient with yourself, you'll constantly improve.
v..uk

Date: 2007-07-07 10:14:07
Edited: 2007-07-07 10:19:15

[reply]
beginner wrote:
I just started to learn typing the number row and it's pretty confusing. Until now I was used to type slowly but 100% accurate. I developed correct finger-key reaches: for me is very important to move only the one finger that I use to press the key, while the others remain on the home row. I know this is not possible at very high speed, but at least I try to minimize the extra movement of other fingers. On number row, things are different. e.g. for me (and maybe for everyone) it's almost impossible to press 2 and 9 with the ring finger, without moving the little finger. On the other hand, if I let fingers move freely, I get dizzy and lose accuracy. I need some piece of advice from an experienced typer around on how to correctly press keys 2, 9, 0 and whether or not I should care less about these extra movements. (excuse my mistakes, I'm not english-born...)

My experience is that keeping fingers fixed isn't the most relevant factor in limiting mistakes.

If I maintain the patience (very rarely) to think about what I'm going to type before I type it then I don't make mistakes (Or rather I correct the mistake before it happens). But that doesn't work for typing fast (typing fast does not allow the conscious part of the mind to correct mistakes until the mistake has hit the board).

I've found that with practice, It's possible to always hit a key accurately when moving the whole hand. You might already do this with the enter or escape key.

Another work around is to modify the secondary shift states (alt-gr and such) so that your numbers can be tiped with out moving your hands off the main row. In windows this can be done with "Microsoft Keyborad Layout Creator" @ http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx

I have my numbers as shift+alt-gr overlapping the qwerty and asdfg positions of a standard board:
0 9 8 7 6
1 2 3 4 5

Using the number pad is a good way to touch-type numbers. There's a bump on the five key where your middle finger should rest. The bump on the J key for you index finger can be used to guide your hand back to the homerow.
dre

Date: 2007-07-07 14:31:58

[reply]
v..uk wrote:

Another work around is to modify the secondary shift states (alt-gr and such) so that your numbers can be tiped with out moving your hands off the main row. In windows this can be done with "Microsoft Keyborad Layout Creator" @ http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx

It's also possible to do this with autohotkey (www.autohotkey.com), though it may take a bit of basic understanding for programming.

I have my numbers as shift+alt-gr overlapping the qwerty and asdfg positions of a standard board:
0 9 8 7 6
1 2 3 4 5

Since I'm using NEO (https://neo.eigenheimstrasse.de/svn/grafik/), I also have a second "numblock" beneath uio jkl m,. . I never wanna miss it again!

[all forums] [all topics] [latest messages] [send reply]

TyperA.net - ©Klikki