TyperA - test your typing skills

Home | Register | What's new | High scores | Forums | People | Guestbook | FAQ | About TyperA

Name:
Password:

From the creators of TyperA:
online hockey
ski jump

Forgot your password?
Forum title:Typing
Topic title:What the best technique for hitting the
Created by: sorenk
Created on:2007-01-07 00:07:46
Read times:3877

[all forums] [all topics] [latest messages] [send reply]

sorenk

Date: 2007-01-07 00:07:46

[reply]
I'm working on a technique that I hope may improve my typing speed, eventually. I try to hit the space bar with the thumb opposite the first character of the next word.

For example the previous sentence I used my thumbs in the order right (t), right (t), left (h), right (t), right (s), right (b), right (w), right (t), right (t), left (o), right (t), right (f), right (c), left (o), right (t), left (n) and right (w).

I've been working at this for the past month and my speed has improved about 10 WMP, but that could just be because I've been practicing a lot.

I'd like to know if anyone else (especially people who average over 100WPM ) use a certain technique with the space bar, or if you always hit the space bar with the same thumb.
vwg

Date: 2007-01-08 21:39:14
Edited: 2007-01-08 21:39:22

[reply]
I always use the left thumb
bren

Date: 2007-01-12 19:24:48

[reply]
I tend to always use the right thumb. I think in typing classes they wanted you to use the opposite of the last finger that you typed with....but I never managed to get into that habit. My right thumb is just always there it seems.
brittanyw

Date: 2007-01-13 07:35:30

[reply]
i tend to use my right thumb all the time. although I am left-handed, ive always used my right thumb.
*Brittany*
dromiceius

Date: 2007-01-15 14:12:26
Edited: 2007-01-15 14:17:10

[reply]
I've been working at this for the past month and my speed has improved about 10 WMP, but that could just be because I've been practicing a lot.

Yes, it's because you've been practicing.

There are an average of five characters in every word. Therefore, typing at 100wpm requires the thumb only to fire and reset itself 100 times per minute, which is 1.66 times per second.

If you can comfortably hit the spacebar two times in under one second, then the technique will make absolutely no difference. The practice might help you to concentrate, though. Complacency and lack of focus usually leads to errors.
ouga

Date: 2007-03-01 09:53:50

[reply]
I use left thumb too, always. Guess it's all about habits, doubt it really matters if you use left, right or both. But as said above it's probably simpliest to just do it with one thumb if it doesn't feel unnatural. I can tell that at least on my own limits (below 700kpm) I've never felt a problem with spacebar usage, doesn't wear me down nor does it seem to lower scores.
mc

Date: 2007-05-03 12:57:34

[reply]
sometimes i use my little finger

ive been training it for quite a while and its really strong
mc

Date: 2007-05-03 12:58:00

[reply]
maybe we can hang out some time

[all forums] [all topics] [latest messages] [send reply]

TyperA.net - ©Klikki