TyperA - test your typing skills

Home | Register | What's new | High scores | Forums | People | Guestbook | FAQ | About TyperA

Name:
Password:

From the creators of TyperA:
online hockey
ski jump

Forgot your password?
Forum title:TyperA
Topic title:Incorrect counting of keys/minute
Created by: typerqueen
Created on:2007-04-27 14:20:30
Read times:3606

[all forums] [all topics] [latest messages] [send reply]

typerqueen

Date: 2007-04-27 14:20:30

[reply]
I am a little bit astonished concerning the manner of counting the keys/minute. In German language every key stroke counts 1, every space counts 1, and capital letters count 1 extra stroke.

So I did the following: I wrote German sentences here for 2 minutes (result: 439 keys/minute), then I copied the text into my writing program and let it count.

And here are the results:

Keys including spaces: 920
Keys including capital letters: 980!

So, if I divide this result into two, I get the result of 490 keys/minute.

Can somebody explain that difference?

Thanks!
v..uk

Date: 2007-04-29 22:26:43
Edited: 2007-04-29 22:30:36

[reply]
typerqueen wrote:
I am a little bit astonished concerning the manner of counting the keys/minute. In German language every key stroke counts 1, every space counts 1, and capital letters count 1 extra stroke.

So I did the following: I wrote German sentences here for 2 minutes (result: 439 keys/minute), then I copied the text into my writing program and let it count.

And here are the results:

Keys including spaces: 920
Keys including capital letters: 980!

So, if I divide this result into two, I get the result of 490 keys/minute.

Can somebody explain that difference?

Thanks!

I think it's a matter of semantics.

The German meaning seems to literally be the average number of keys pressed as opposed to the number of characters generated.

So for the TyperA, CPM or characters per minute might be more literally applicable. But cpm could be confused as excluding spaces since the space may be thought of as a non character. And that might be why Keys Per Minute is used as a measure of Characters (including the space/null character) Per Minute.

Also, errors adjust the typerA speed. That might explain why typerA gave 439 instead of 460 (half of 920).
burnus

Date: 2007-05-23 00:11:13

[reply]
think its more like the last one.. next itme u do that, just delete all wrong-spelled wurds inside the writing programm ;)

[all forums] [all topics] [latest messages] [send reply]

TyperA.net - ©Klikki